Top Latest News & Reports

Items filtered by date: April 2025

The Malawi Revenue Authority (MRA) on Wednesday (2nd April, 2025) donated K60 million towards provision of assistance to people affected by Tropical Cyclone Jude.

Speaking in Lilongwe during a cheque presentation ceremony, MRA Board Chairperson Vizgenge Kumwenda said the donation is in line with key pillar number one of its corporate social responsibilities which guides them to support communities in times of need.

“Much as MRA is responsible for assessment, collection and accounting for Government tax revenue, we are a people-oriented organization. We are aware that we exist as a revenue body because of the people who pay taxes, “said Kumwenda.

DoDMA’s Director of Disaster Preparedness and Response Rev. Moses Owen Chimphepo said the donation will greatly assist the affected as they are trying to get back to their feet following the disaster that affected over 32,000 people (according to the final comprehensive report).

Save the Children Malawi has donated assorted non-food items worth K161 million for prepositioning by the Department of Disaster Management Affairs (DoDMA).

The items, which include kitchenware, soap, dignity kits, blankets and children’s play kits will cater for over 10,000 households.

Speaking in Nsanje during the official handover ceremony, Save the Children’s Director of Programmes Operations, Partnerships and Awards Management Dr. Chakufwa Munthali, said prepositioning of relief items is key as the country is prone to various disasters.

“As a country, we have been experiencing various disasters, including cyclones and these negatively impact the lives of vulnerable communities, including children, women and the elderly who require life-saving assistance, said Munthali.

In his remarks DoDMA’s Director of Preparedness and Response Rev. Moses Owen Chimphepo hailed Save the Children for the gesture, stressing that the items will go a long way towards alleviating the challenges people affected by disasters face in the country.

He called upon other organizations to emulate the good gesture.

Thursday, 03 April 2025 08:49

STATUS ON DISASTERS AND RESPONSE OPERATIONS

The Department of Disaster Management Affairs (DoDMA), in the Office of the President and Cabinet, would like to update the general public on the status of disasters and response operations in the 2024/25 rainfall season.

Since the onset of the rainy season to date, (Thursday, 27th March, 2025) the total number of households affected by disasters; has increased from 40,178 (as reported in our previous update dated 5th March, 2025) to 41,315 (approximately 185,918 people).

The total number of injuries has also increased from 483 to 486 while the total number of deaths remains 39. The majority of deaths and injuries have been caused by lightning and damaged walls and roofs. It is of paramount importance to note that this updated status excludes damages caused by Tropical Cyclone Jude, which affected over 20,000 people in 11 councils; in the southern region.

So far, the department has reached out to over 85 per cent of the total number of affected households with food and non-food items, which include maize, beans, blankets, pails and plastic sheets for temporary roofing. The provision of relief assistance is on-going.

The general public will be duly informed regarding the status of disasters and any related developments.

For more information, please contact the Principal Information Management and Public Relations Officer, Mr. Chipiliro Raymond Khamula, on +265 (0) 999 043 228, (0) 884 572 844 E-mail; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

 

Visitors Counter

1133884
Today
Yesterday
This Week
Last Week
This Month
Last Month
All days
765
1182
7377
1118271
4184
40171
1133884

Your IP: 3.142.94.158
2025-04-04 15:49