The Department of Climate Change and Meteorological Services has issued a severe weather warning that stormy rains (heavy rains accompanied by strong winds) are likely to hit most parts of the southern region, which might cause flooding.
- Develop a culture of listening to the radio or watching television and reading news for information. (The Department of Disaster Management Affairs is airing jingles on MBC and Zodiak [both radio and TV], to raise awareness on flood early warning systems).
- Teach children about flood hazards
- Identify safer places for evacuation during floods
- Be aware that flash flooding can occur. If there is any possibility of a flash flood, move immediately to higher ground. Do not wait for instructions to move.
- Be aware of streams, drainage channels and other areas known to flood suddenly. Flash floods can occur in these areas with or without such typical warnings as rain clouds or heavy rains.
- Pay attention to flood early warning signs such as long rainfall duration and rising water levels in lakes and rivers.